Monday, October 04, 2010

The Story of Yoda

It was February of 1991, and I went to Save-A-Pet with some friends.   They were looking for a dog.  I was just along for the ride.  She was in the lobby of a ramshakle little shelter in Palatine, IL, in a pet carrier, away from the little dogs.  She chose me.  I didn't have a clue about how to care for a little helpless creature.  She taught me.  I she hadn't chosen me, I'm sure that by now my heart would have withered into a bitter, nasty thing.  Loving her, and the dogs that followed has kept me from losing hope in a world that for the most part, these days, seems hopeless to me.  Yoda was the first dog I knit for.  Yoda changed my life for the better, probably in more ways than I can express. 
The shelter that housed my little Yoda dog moved to a location in Grayslake, IL, and fifteen years later, finds itself with financial difficulty.  This depression hurts pets, too.  If you can help with a donation in October, a kind family has offered to match your donation.  To sweeten the deal, any custom sweater from Lucky Penny or purchase from my Etsy shop, will have 10% donated to the cause.

No comments: