Thursday, October 09, 2014

Instagram: The Photos Have Filters, the People Don't

I've mentioned before how much I love Instagram.  So when I get stung, it really hurts.  I follow cute dogs, and knitwear designers mostly.  I post a lot of Madeline wearing her hand knits.  Whenever I'm in a bookstore and see my book on a shelf, I rearrange it so it stands front and center, and record it.  A person who commented asked about the availability of my patterns, and I mentioned the book.  A few days later, she commented on an older photo of my book about the (few) negative Amazon reviews.  I don't know if there's a mechanism for deleting the comment.  I certainly didn't want to leave it up for the world to see.  What if a publisher saw it?  The only thing I could think to do was delete the photo, and block the user.  Nice to have the internet as a shield, user Z.  Fuck you.  Behind every photo, there is a person with feelings.  You chose not to purchase my book based on some negative reviews, then behind the shield of anonymity, pissed on my Instagram feed.  Since you scrolled down to an old posting, you clearly had given the act some thought.
I was gifted this yarn from my employer, who got it on a trip to Toronto.  A cashmere blend from Americo.  I love it.  The hat pattern is from the Fall 2014 issue of Vogue Knitting.  I love it.

No comments: