Monday, October 17, 2016

A Taste of Autumn

This past winter, I was at a memorial service for a childhood friend, and I spent time with a young woman who remembered me from her childhood.  I had brought my green tomato salsa to a party at her house, and she wanted the recipe for it.  I don't recall the origins of this, perhaps I adapted it from a Moosewood cookbook.  I have not made this in years.  It takes me back to my attic apartment in Lakeview that I shared with Yoda.  I am reminded of crisp autumn weather that I long for now, and many walks in the neighborhood with my sweet tiny old dog.  There was a little Mexican produce store maybe a half block away where I would buy the ingredients.  I made some again last week, using tomatoes that I purchased at a farm stand in Wisconsin.  With some sturdy chips,  it makes an excellent breakfast.

Green Tomato Salsa

5-6 unripe tomatoes
3-4 yellow onions
4 cloves garlic
1 6 oz can diced green chiles
1 T. cumin
salt and cayenne pepper to taste
1 bunch green onions
1 bunch cilantro

Chop the tomatoes and onions.  I do a rough chop and then put the pieces in the food processor, using the slicing blade.  Bring onions, tomatoes, crushed garlic, and green chiles to a boil, adding cumin and seasonings to taste.  I have opinions on adding heat producing seasonings, but you could add jalapeƱo sauce if you wish.  Let the mixture simmer for about a half hour, then turn off heat and let cool on the stove.
When the salsa has cooled, add chopped green onions and cilantro.
This is a very heavy salsa, more like a vegetable stew, and needs a sturdy chip.  I purchased some home made style chips from a local tortillery at the same Wisconsin farm stand where I bought the tomatoes, and they were perfect.

No comments: