Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Girly vs. Arty




Josh G. is the assistant that worked on the Doggie Knits book at our shoot earlier this month. I had not worked in professional photography for 15 years, and was awestruck by the advances in technology. With digital photography, there is so much information in the "files", that in the images, you can see whiskers on the dogs and the halo from the mohair in the sweaters. Josh helped bring David and I into the 21st century. Besides that, he was an entirely delightful person. Very driven and artistic. When David and I went to Josh's place to look at our work up on his super huge monitor, he showed us the intricate beaded chandelier earrings that he loves to work on, when he is dating his current muse. He's in Turkey now, shooting some locations for a travel brochure. I wanted to send him a knitted token of my esteem, but as with many other things these days, finished late. This is the Duncan hat from my favorite hat book, Hip Knit Hats. I took the advice of one of my LYS proprietors and chose Merino Stripes from Crystal Palace. It's the self-striping version of Merino Frappe. The resulting hat (bottom left) was rather limp and loose, and would fit my big head. I asked the Man his opinion, and he said the hat was "girly". Even though David would describe Josh as a Gay Straight Man, I thought about it, and decided it may be too girly even for a San Francisco man. This hat will stay in the Lucky Penny hat crock, to be used as a nightcap for the Man when he has a chill. When he's in bed under a down comforter, two quilts, and perhaps wearing a parka. So, I went to one of my "go to" yarns for a second attempt. Kureyon, color #51, which I think is beautiful for a man. I asked my Man his opinion of the second hat (top right), and he says "arty." Okay. Arty is good. I am also working on some Knitted Alpaca Love for David, and I'm almost done! With the dogs, Agnes is now trying to assert herself, not always in a good way. While I am amused with dogs being naughty, I don't think the Man is liking it much. And Agnes does not like the Man. No word on the other adoption, and part of me still hopes that things will sort themselves out.

No comments: