Thursday, March 23, 2006

A Lifetime of Knitting



I taught myself to knit from a book at seven years old. I was not really a play outside kind of child, and could amuse myself in my room reading a book, or doing some kind of craft. Both my grandmothers knit continental, which I could not pick up. The knitting skipped a generation with my mom. She does have plenty of hand knit sweaters, that I have made her over the years. I would often hand her a magazine and have her pick out what she wanted, and sometimes she chose patterns intended for "expert" knitters. "Well, aren't you?" would be her comment when I pointed out the difficulty level of a pattern she liked. This is my mom in the photo, taken a few weeks ago, wearing a sweater that I must have made for her when I was in high school, over thirty years ago. This is the time when the LYS was a rare thing, and yarn was mostly procured at a department store. Not being educated at all regarding fiber, I just chose yarn for color. I became a fan of the animal fiber when I happened to make the observation that my knitting looked better with the wool, rather than acrylic. I have no idea what yarn this sweater was knit from, but it is a combination of "space dyed", the precursor of the handpaints that I love now, and a solid color. I love that so many years later, the sweater is still alive! That, I think, is what all knitters want when they make a garment for others, to know that their hard work is truly appreciated.

2 comments:

AmyArtisan said...

Thanks for sharing this story & picture - what a neat sweater. I understand about the knitting skipping a generation - that is how it is in my family - my mom's mom taught me to knit, my mom never has. Also, my mom has the wonderful sewing gene & it hasn't really clicked for me (I think because I grew up with her always able to sew for me). :)

Bonne Marie said...

I adore that sweater - the yarn makes it look like it's Fair Isle...

You got *IT* my friend - even without trying you make something really wonderful!