Saturday, July 29, 2006

Dog Days

I hate Summer. I live with someone who loves it. On days with the heat index over 100 degrees, I just want to sit in a cold dark room with a big icy drink. A few weeks ago the Man and I were in Lake Geneva, and I got sick being out in the heat. Like my innards were cooking! The Man wanted to go away today, and I was dreading it. He didn't feel good today, and although he would never admit it, I think the heat from yesterday really got to him. So we stayed home. I'm taking care of my friend's house and cats while they are away for a week, and I think the plants in their window boxes are going to die on my watch. I feel like the life is sucked out of me, and I need all the energy I can get these days. Because he didn't get to be chauffeured by me all over Wisconsin, I made a meal at his request, potato pancakes. Two large potatoes shredded with as much water squeezed out as you can, one medium onion, chopped, 3/4 cup flour, 2 eggs, salt and pepper. Mix all together, form into palm-sized patties and fry in a hot pan with oil and butter. The Man likes his with maple syrup. I like mine with salt and creme fraiche.

No comments: