Saturday, January 10, 2009

Hall of Shame

I'm plugging along, finishing and repairing earlier works.  This sweater, which is from a Vogue Knitting from I think, 2002, was knit in Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed, and worn once in 2005.  I decided that it was too short, and the sleeves way too long.  You see it here with the ribbing off, to be knit up, then grafted to the body of the sweater.  Not my idea.  I couldn't imagine doing a huge graft with that tweedy, nubby yarn.  Which is why it sat in a bin for 3+ years, mocking me.  I finally decided to do things my way--work in the opposite direction from the live stitches.  I've shortened the sleeves, and close to finishing the body ribbing.  This should be in wardrobe rotation this week.
My car is currently in a three foot snowbank courtesy of Chicago's Streets and Santitation Department, when a plow came down the street.   In Chicago, residents often mark their parking spot with old furniture or lawn chairs.  I find the practice not very neighborly.  I suppose I can understand if someone's spent hours digging a spot.  When I had my condo, I saw some of the other owners mark spots that I know they didn't dig.  So far, in the new Lucky Penny neighborhood, there's not much marking going on.  It's especially rude if the spot is marked after the snow has melted, which I've seen before.
I've been a little sqeamish about using my rotary cutter after last Sunday, when my friend cut off the top of her finger at Quiltology, at the beginning of what was going to be a leisurely afternoon of playing with fabric and just having a good time.  Fortunately, an emergency room was not far away.  So, we spent the afternoon together in the ER, waiting for the bleeding to stop.  I've been thinking how fortunate I am to have friends that share my interests, and it seems like right now in my life there's an abundance.  I've been left alone in an emergency room a few times (blame the Man), and it's awful, so no way was I going to do that.  Mary and I met about seven years ago at an antique show, and then I would run into her in other places, like Knitting Workshop.  We have so many shared interests, and starting this past summer, have hung out together more.  She went into battle for me when some nut jobs had some toxic discussion about my book's cover in the Ravelry forums.  She wrote one of the five star reviews of my book on Amazon.  This is a good, supportive and generous friend.  It turns out that the rotary cutter also broke the bone.  It sounds so little, but a hand injury is a major blow, if you consider how much we do with our hands, even unfortunate people who don't have a craft.  Everyone--be very careful with your hands!

No comments: