Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Cabin Fever

We went out for a short time today, because the Man couldn't stand being inside all day.  We walked down our street, and most of the residents were shoveling out their street parking spaces, leaving a pile of snow on the corner parkway that appears to be more than ten feet high.   I think I'm going to be hoofing it to public transit, or begging the Man to drive me with his 4 X 4 vehicle for the next few days.  We're cooking some stick to your ribs type meals, including this really tasty split pea soup. 
Saute 1 onion, 1 carrot, 1 parsnip and 2 stalks celery in olive oil.  Add 6-8 oz of ham, 2 boxes of chicken broth, two bay leaves, and 1 package of split peas.  Let simmer for about an hour, or until the split peas are tender.  Serve with croutons on top.  I made mine in a pan with olive oil and (lots) of butter, and black pepper.  They would be much better with garlic powder.  I could swear I purchased some at Trader Joe's a few days ago, but I couldn't find them.  The Man could not stop eating this soup.
I'm staying put for a few days--maybe I can finish a sweater for myself that I started this summer! 

No comments: