Friday, August 12, 2011

I Don't Want to Know

If the universe is trying to tell me something, maybe I don't want to know.  Yesterday was just crummy.  It started in the morning, when I was taking Piccolo out, and a neighbor commented about my hair.  Then he started talking about how my last hair never looked good on me, and made some other inappropriate comments about my physcial appearance.  I couldn't wait to get away from him.  Things got worse around 2 pm when I realized that sometime during the day I lost the keys to the apartment.  I've never lost keys.  Took some time to get a set from the Man, and make copies.  Things got even more crazy when I spotted a mouse in the living room.  Have a mentioned lately how much I hate this apartment and my landlady?  The mouse sprang a trap last night, and the Man re-set it, and we found it in the trap this morning.  I'm going to get another trap in case a friend comes looking for it.
Things started to get nuts a few days ago.  Let me back this up a little.  About two weeks ago, I got an email from someone at my publisher's office, saying that someone called to report that she was having difficulties with one of the designs, and could I email her.  The book was published three years ago, and the patterns were written five to seven years ago.  They have been published in two additional languages.  There was a tech editor assigned to the book, and I know that there are some errors in the book.  Regarding the German and Russian editions, I can only imagine that things get lost in translation.  My impression is that the books may get translated by someone who is not familiar with knitting.  I came to this conclusion after helping people interpret patterns translated from another language to English.  All of that said, sweaters are still being knit.  No one up until now contacted the publisher. I had a feeling that I was dealing with someone unstable, and attempted to help, fearing that I would end up getting a one star review on Amazon.  I hate review sites, if I haven't mentioned that before.  It's a vehicle for someone to use the internet as a weapon.  A few emails back and forth with this woman, I realized that I was going down a rabbit hole.  She stated that she had never made a sweater before.  After she asked me to re-write an entire pattern for her, I knew that there would be no end to this situation, and didn't reply.
It's not that I don't think re-writing some of the patterns is a bad idea.  I've given it some thought, as one day Doggie Knits will be out of print, and I'll publish individual revised patterns, or an ebook.  Right now, you can purchase Doggie Knits on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for the price of a single pattern.  That really, really irks me.  At the moment, re-writing the patterns is not on the top of my priority list.  This woman knows nothing about my life, or any of the deadlines or issues that I'm dealing with now.  It just crossed a line.  A few days later, I found the one star review on Amazon.  She used her real name, so there was no mistake.  The other evening, I came home to find another email from her for more help.  Talk about some effing nerve.  My reply included a copy of her review.  She didn't back down.  Have you ever heard any one say that knitters are so nice?  Don't believe it.  There are plenty of evil nut jobs who knit.
The new knitted object is Gretel, from CocoKnits.  I used Habu Cotton Gima.  It's a different knitting experience, sort of like knitting with paper.  It's knit in the round up to the armholes, and I twisted my cast on, not realizing it until a few inches in.  Cotton Gima really likes to tangle when being taken apart.  I cast on again, and knit a few rows flat before joining it in the round.  I always thought of that method being the chicken shit way.  Stitches in Cotton Gima like to stick to each other.  For more control over my stitches, I used a bamboo needle.  I like this design a lot.  It's a light, exotic looking layering piece.  I can see having a few.  I've been hankering to knit with wool these days, but I cast on for another one, which I will make longer.  In Linen Paper.  Knitted cast on, the chicken shit way.

No comments: