Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mad World

On our morning walk today, I encountered a woman who had a Pekingese who died suddenly in the same manner that Piccolo did.  "Part of me died," she said.  Exactly my feeling.  I am coming to terms with the fact that Piccolo won't be on the front landing to make sure I made it into the apartment, that she won't be curled up on the bath mat waiting for me to come out of the shower, or won't be on top of me licking my face.  I was feeling not very much purpose, and very little inspiration.  But I decided that I would become happy.  I can mourn the loss of Piccolo, which I do every day, but I can care for and love a new pet.  My little guardian wouldn't want me to be unhappy.  So, I looked, and as it turns out, I found a little girl in Michigan, which appears to be the source of all doggie happiness for me.  This is Madeline, wearing a hand me down sweater.  She's adjusting like she's always lived here.  Her adoption was facilitated by a most excellent organization named P.O.E.T. Animal Rescue.  She came from a hoarding/neglect situation as Piccolo did, but so far, if she has any baggage, it's yet to be revealed.  No fear.  Likes other people and dogs.  She came to the shop on Sunday and was a big hit.  One thing, though--little Madge can devour groceries like nothing I've ever seen.  She's a bit on the scrawny side, and her coat needs to grow back in.  But, there's life once again in this home and studio, and I must admit, I'm starting to feel more productive.  Thank you, little Madeline.

No comments: