Friday, January 25, 2013

A Midwinter Supper in the Midwest

Here in the kitchen at Lucky Penny HQ, I have become a better cook. I think I have always had an affinity for knowing what flavors work together, but now I use better ingredients. Organic and sustainable when I can. This dish was inspired by the massive pork shoulder I cooked last month. I had massive leftovers in need of a recipe. A good one for me this time of year is something hearty, soupy, and yields leftovers. With my work schedule, it's nice to come home to a meal that can be reheated. I had fond memories of chop suey that my mom used to cook, and stopped, as I was the only family member who liked it, apparently. I asked her for the recipe, and she didn't remember ever having cooked it, so the recipe has been re-created from my taste memory, and what I think a Midwestern housewife would think of as chop suey. The vegetables are sautéed in butter, as this is the Midwest. Chopsticks not required! Eat it with a fork over white rice.

Midwestern Chop Suey
1 pound cooked pork, cut into small pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 C celery, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz can chop suey vegetables, drained
2 T butter
2 T oyster sauce
2 T molasses
1/4 C beef or chicken broth
2 T soy sauce
2 T cornstarch
White rice, cooked
Sauté onions and celery in butter. Add pork and garlic, Cook, covered for about ten minutes. Add molasses, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and broth. Cook for 5 minutes, add vegetables. Make a slurry of cornstarch with broth or water and add to dish to thicken gravy. Adjust seasonings as desired and serve over white rice.

No comments: