Thursday, January 18, 2007

Multidirectional Madness

At last, I've finished the Red Scarf for the Orphan Foundation. No, that's not it in the picture. The donated scarf didn't photograph well, and just looks like a big red blob. It's a mistake rib, knit from red Knit Picks Swish Superwash. I just need to finish the ends, wash the evidence of Piccolo out of it, and send it on its way. The red scarf was 60 inches of mind numbing boredom, that I thought would never be finished. Being a life long knitter, I should have an abundant scarf wardrobe. In truth, I do not. Mostly because I think scarves are horribly boring to knit. Or, if I find an interesting design, most times the piece is not reversible. The scarf in the photo was my distraction for the last few days, and for being about 72 inches long, didn't take long to knit at all. If you Google "multidirectional scarf" you will find the free pattern by Karen Baumer. Why she didn't write this up and sell it, mystifies me. It's a piece of genius. I love the effect with a self-striping yarn. This one is Noro's new Cashmere Island, color #2. With each triangle, a lot of surface area is covered, so in no time it's a substantial scarf. Now, I want multidirectional other things. More scarves. A multidirectional pillow. A multidirectional dog sweater?

3 comments:

Laura said...

That scarf is great! I've had that pattern bookmarked for over a year--I need to just sit down and make it! I just watched an episode of Knitty Gritty with Karen as the guest.

If anyone could do a multidirectional dog sweater, it's you! Give it a shot. Did you also see that Tess' Designer Yarns is having a dog sweater contest?

Kim said...

fabulous color! I want one, I always want one for my very own.

Kim said...

Ok, Corinne - how many skeins did it take?