Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Monkey See, Monkey Do


I'm probably the last person in the knitosphere to be making these. The Monkey socks, from Knitty, look through the archives section for the pattern. So clever. An easy to remember pattern repeat. I don't know why, but this sock just seemed to knit up so quickly. Mods made so far are a k2 p2 ribbing at the cuff, using the double start cast on I learned at a Nancy Bush workshop, and the usual slip stitch heel flap. The spool you see in the photo is wooly nylon that I knit along with at heels and toes. I have a collection with many colors--which reminds me, I think I saw some Regia reinforcing yarn at Lakeside Fibers when I was there. I'm using Dream In Color Smooshy yarn in the color Strange Harvest. I've seen this yarn in pretty much every shop I've gone into these days. The next socks I want to make are the Embossed Leaves that everyone else has made. I have some minty green Lorna's Laces sport weight that I think would be perfect.

3 comments:

Angela said...

I've got some DIC Smooshy, and I was also contemplating the Embossed Leaves. I just started a pair of Mermaid Socks from Cool Socks, Warm Feet using Fleece Artist Seacell--yum! I'll be making the Monkey again, too, although I have a crap memory for sequences, so I always have to look at the pattern, no matter how simple. Love that colorway--very autumnal.

sweetfigs said...

Another great choice in yarn -- the DIC Strange Harvest colorway is nice and doesn't overwhelm Monkey's stitch pattern.

Didn't you just love Lakeside Fibers? I checked it out in December when I saw the EZ exhibit. I liked all the wood and the coffee shop in the back with the natural light.

BertandFelix said...

I was thinking about starting those socks too. Have a BUNCH of Socks That Rock yarn.