Monday, June 25, 2007

Pretty Good Rice Pudding


The Man and I have gone to a diner on Lincoln Ave. a few times. The kind where the owners are probably Greek, and the specials are different every day. We split a dinner, which includes the salad, soup, and dessert. I must confess that the dessert is the best part. It's the best rice pudding I've ever had. The Man begged me to duplicate it tonight, but leave out the egg, butter, and sugar. So, I made some, and just didn't tell him some things he might not want to hear. Someday. This makes about four servings.
3/4 c. rice, uncooked (I used regular long grain white rice, but I want to try Arborio next time)
water to cover
1 c. milk (we only have skim in the house)
1/3 c. sugar
1 egg
1 T. butter (the Man wants SmartBalance, but I think it's vile! I didn't tell him about the butter)
1 t. vanilla
nutmeg and cinnamon to taste
whipped cream in a can
Cook the rice in water until tender. Add the sugar, and butter, and gradually add in milk until creamy (you may not use the entire cup). Beat the egg, and temper it with the hot liquid before adding to the rice. Stir in vanilla. Add nutmeg and cinnamon. Serve (the man wants it hot) at your desired temperature with whipped cream.
I think I had the scariest drive of my life coming home last night on I-294, just south of the Wisconsin border. One lane, with concrete walls on either side, with lights on top that seemed to get narrower as I drove forward!
The photo is of beauty amidst the chaos in the Lucky Penny studio. Bits of my Steiff toy and McCoy pottery collection.

4 comments:

Kim said...

sounds heavenly - I must try!

Bonne Marie said...

Rice pudding is one of my faves, too!

Thanks so much for the recipe -- I am going to try it this weekend.

YUM! Cold Rice Pudding on a steamy hot day...

(Love that Steiff)

BertandFelix said...

Yummy!! Haven't had rice pudding in years.

I have a couple of pieces of McCoy also...and Rookwood. Nice to have collections.

Angela said...

Did we discuss our respective McCoy collections before? Perhaps we did. I have the little green pot on the left, too. All my pieces are green except for the figural ones, the floral vases and the pinecone sets.