Sunday, August 05, 2012

Utility

I met someone who calls herself an "art quilter" a few months ago.  We spoke about my quilting, which she deemed "utility quilting."  I had not quite thought about them that way, as I have a history of hanging some of my quilts as wall art, but I suppose that most of it is utilitarian.  I like using my possessions, even if it means that they may break (like my vintage Fiestaware) or wear out.  I've used quilts until they are beyond repair, and some of mine are starting to show wear, more often than not, with the binding.  This is a glimpse of Piccolo's most recent quilty acquisition, being used and enjoyed.  Looking at this just makes me want to take a nap. 

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I agree with you - why have things if you are not going to use them? It's not the object that IS a memory, it's the company that it keeps when used that conjures up fond memories.