Friday, October 25, 2013

Hey, Johnny

This time of year I love cooking comfort foods.  Really, I like eating them year round, but my kitchen is more willing to do them when I won't overheat the apartment by turning on the oven.  There's a new restaurant near the shop that has an interesting concept, but has been frustrating to order from.  It's a menu of mainly casseroles, but except for one occasion, there has not been anything ready to serve.  They will sell single portions that are frozen and take about an hour in the oven, for an average of $8/serving.  One night I brought home a tuna noodle casserole and thought, "I could make this."  So, I think I made it better.  And cheaper by lots.  More than four servings for about the same cost.  Perhaps the same cooking time with all the chopping and cooking on the stove top.  This is going to be in menu rotation for the fall/winter season at Lucky Penny HQ.
How I did it:
Ingredients:
Farfalle pasta, about 1/2 box, cooked
Butter
1 onion, minced
2 stalks celery, minced
1/2 pound mushrooms
1/2 C. frozen mixed vegetables
Butter, 2 or more tablespoons
equal amount flour
1 tsp Better than Bullion mushroom flavor (I found it at Whole Foods)
about 1.5 cups milk
1/2 cup or more cheddar cheese
1 big can of tuna
french fried onions

Saute onions and celery, set aside
Saute mushrooms, set aside
Make roux with butter and flour.  Add milk and allow to thicken.  Add sauteed vegetables and mushroom flavoring.  Add frozen vegetables, tuna, and cooked noodles.  Transfer to a casserole dish, and top generously with french fried onions.  Bake at 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

No comments: