For anyone who wants to participate in the Custom Fitted Dog Sweater workshop at Windy Knitty, February 28 and March 6, here is a little tutorial on measuring your dog. This is from Doggie Knits, Sweaters and Accessories for Your Best Friend.
1. Neck: Around where your dog's collar hangs.
2. Chest: Widest part behind the front legs.
3. Length: From back of neck to base of the tail. The class project is knit top down, so the fit can be adjusted as you progress.
4. Chest depth: From the base of next front to the top of the front legs.
5. Distance between front legs
Some optional measurements:
6. Harness Opening: Measure from the back of the neck to where the d-ring falls on your dog's back.
7. For Boys: Measure from the base of the neck, past the chest, ending where you would like the front of the sweater to stop to clear the male anatomy.
I will be releasing a pattern soon--a simple design with lots of detail and technique. We're going to cover a tubular cast on, binding off and casting on the the middle of a round, and a really attractive and sturdy buttonhole in the workshop. Skills that can be used in other projects!