Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Everything Takes Longer

My sock drawer is teetering on the pathetic.  I've taken to wearing mismatched socks.  Many of my hand knit socks have holes, some with big ones.  When I'm working my safety net job, my feet need to be comfortable.  Which means wearing sneakers.  I'm so lucky that I dug a pair out of my closet that have fantastic arch support.
For the summer, I want footies instead of a substantial cuff.  I shopped my stash, and this is sport weight pattern dyed yarn that's maybe been with me for ten years. It's Opal, and I expect to wear them for a very long time.  Some of my first socks are knit with Regia or Opal, and are still in rotation.  I can get two pairs from one skein.  I didn't really use a pattern.  Just a vanilla footie with a 56 stitch cast on using size 2 needles.  Right now I'm about half way through with the mate for this sock, and expect the pair to be worn the next time I work the safety net.  Speaking of which, I'm not working it as much as I need.  So, looking for something more.  I keep hoping that my hours at this one will increase, but after six months, my expectations are low.
I'm knitting a sample for a book, and after I knit the first pattern sequence, discovered that I omitted two plain rounds.  The sample is fair isle, so dropping down and  correcting was not going to work.  I had to take down what amounted to almost a whole day's work.    I'm hoping to finish knitting tonight or tomorrow.   There are still a few odd jobs to do, and I've been putting off finishing a sweater for a friend.  The thing that's keeping me from doing it is that I really don't like the yarn.  I just have to buck up.  Because I promised.

No comments: